Licensed by the Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Substance Use Prevention and Recovery and certified for Medicaid reimbursement.
Illinois Department of Human Services Department of Mental Health (DMH) Licensed and Certified
Accredited by The Joint Commission
The Council does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion or national origin.
The Council is handicap accessible and gives pregnant women and injecting drug users priority to treatment services.
The Council does not deny access to service because of a proven inability to pay.
Funded in part by the Illinois Department of Human Services, Substance Use Prevention and Recovery
A State Licensed Facility
We are The South Suburban Council, a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to alcoholism, substance use and mental health treatment and recovery. The mission of The South Suburban Council is to deliver a continuum of treatment and recovery support services to residents of the greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana areas and those surrounding communities particularly to those who are financially disadvantaged. Licensed by the Illinois Department of Human services, Division of Substance Use Prevention and recovery and Division of Mental Health and certified for Medicaid reimbursement. The South Suburban Council is accredited by The Joint Commission. The South Suburban Council does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, age, mental or physical handicap, marital status, HIV status, sexual orientation, transgender status, parental status or political affiliation. The South Suburban Council is handicap accessible and does not deny access to service because of a proven inability to pay.
Areas of Focus: Awareness, Treatment, and Prevention
- Provide support services and access treatment avenues for individuals and families experiencing substance use disorder and mental health concerns
- Educate the community on substance use disorder and mental health focusing on prevention, treatment, and recovery and relapse prevention.
- Collaborate with all community sectors on substance use disorder focusing on prevention, treatment, recovery, and relapse prevention.
- Support advocacy through education and training.
- Participate, advocate, and lobby for recovery on a broader stage to regional, county, state, and federal organizations.
The values of The South Suburban Council are focused on trust, resilience, friendship, and family.
The South Suburban Council core competencies include: Commitment to recovery and safety of our clients, emphasis on communication and influence and responsiveness to our client’s needs.
At The South Suburban Council, communication and responsiveness is prioritized and influence and mentorship is provided appropriately to aid in the client’s recovery with the help of house managers, life skills counselors, and peer mentorship.
Partially funded by the United Way.