The South Suburban Council Offers Help to Problem Gamblers as Casinos Reopen
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Greater Chicagoland, Northwest Indiana and all surrounding areas:
|The South Suburban Council|
- Casinos and other gambling locations reopening can be a risky time for those who are coping with stress and financial uncertainty.
- Re-openings may pose a relapse trigger for those struggling with a gambling problem.
- Some community members have been struggling all along with other forms of gambling still available during closures (ex. online gambling, lottery).
- Free or low-cost confidential help is available.
- Voluntary self-exclusion is available for casino gambling and sports betting.
It is estimated that at least 125,000 Illinoisans struggle with a gambling problem. Stress and financial problems brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic have the potential to add to these numbers, as individuals try to cope and to recoup their losses. Those with an existing problem may need support to stay away as they encounter various advertisements for establishments reopening. The South Suburban Council, a substance use and mental health treatment facility in East Hazel Crest IL., is poised to help.
Illinois also has a 24-hour hotline that can be reached three ways:
- Phone: 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) or 708.647.3333
- Text: ILGAMB to 53342
- Chat: https://weknowthefeeling.org/
For more information about how The South Suburban Council can help, contact us at: https://sscouncil.org/ or call us at 708.647.3333.
Services are made possible by funding and support from the Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Substance Use Prevention and Recovery.